Counseling for Third-party Funding
External Funding Applications
The Division of International Affairs supports scientists of Freie Universität Berlin who are preparing a project proposal in order to apply for funding from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) or within the European Union’s Erasmus + funding scheme (see list of support staff for all programs Liste der Zuständigkeiten )
- providing information on funding opportunities
- assisting with formalities and advising on the budgeting of the project
- calculation of personnel cost for the project budget
- authorizing applications
- reviewing project proposals
- providing expertise in international mobility
In case the funder requires an authorization of the grant application by the university management (“Befürwortung der Hochschulleitung”) please hand in the project proposal and all necessary documentation at least a week before the application deadline.
Members of the university are obligated to notify the higher education institution of their external funding projects. Please hand in the notification form by the time the grant has been awarded (see below).
The Division of International Affairs assists you with all contractual matters after the grant has been awarded. We also handle the process of signing the grant agreement and other necessary documentation.
Please hand in the following documents:
- award documents/ funding notification/ grant agreement (in duplicate)
- partnership agreement (if applicable, in duplicate)
- budget plan
- grant proposal
- funding rules, e.g. financial handbook etc.
- notification form for externally funded projects (pdf)
- declaration of co-financing, if applicable
After the grant agreement has been signed by the authorities at FUB, we forward the records to the funder. On receipt of the fully signed agreement, all documents are sent to the funding administration and a notification is sent to you.
According to experience, the process of signing takes some time, which may delay the opening of the project account and consequently the start of the project. Therefore, we recommend that you hand in the award documents as soon as you receive the grant notification.
Scholarship letters for awarding scholarships from the project budget have to be signed by an authorized person from the university administration. As a general rule, the Division of International Affairs is responsible for signing scholarship letters for all projects our staff is counselling. Please see here for details.
For information on the process of awarding scholarships as well as for forms and templates please see here.
If you wish to have scholarship letters signed by the Division of International Affairs, please hand in the following documents:
- filled in template for awarding scholarships, signed by the project leader
- declaration of consent, signed by the scholar
- certificate of matriculation (students/ PhD students)
- budget plan of the project
Since the Division of International Affairs does not keep project accounts, the original declarations of consent and acceptance are to be kept in the project file for further reference.