Enrollment in doctoral programs (Promotion)

The following documents are required in order to enroll into PhD/doctoral programs (within the in your admissions notice specified deadline) by mail:

  1. Your completed Enrollment Application, if you are not yet enrolled at Freie Universität Berlin
    Application to Change Programs
    , if you are already enrolled at Freie Universität Berlin and wish to change programs
  2. A copy of the current admissions notice (issued by the doctoral committee of the department)
  3. For Dahlem Research School programs (DRS) confirmation of DRS-membership/-participation
  4. A copy of your earlier degrees or certificates, along with an official translation if your degrees or certificates were issued in any language other than German or English (not required if you already have been enrolled at the Free University of Berlin)
  5. A copy of a valid form of identification (e. g., passport or ID) verifying your complete surname, first name, date of birth, address and expiration date
    You are permitted to black out sections that are irrelevant to the proof of your identity. The copy´s sole purpose is to verify your identity and to protect you from potential identity theft. Once your enrollment is completed this copy is immediately destroyed (not required if you already have been enrolled at Freie Universität Berlin).
  6. If applicable, copy of your certificate of withdrawal from the student register (Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung) from your most recently attended German university (not required if you already have been enrolled at Freie Universität Berlin)
  7. A copy of your bank statement or transfer voucher verifying the payment of semester fees and contributions as well as the costs of your transportation pass (Semesterticket) payable to Freie Universität Berlin (also see Enrollment Application and Fees and Contributions). If you are transferring funds from abroad please be sure to transfer the applicable bank fees as well.
  8. If you do not wish to use a transportation pass (Semesterticket), you can request an exemption in advance at the Student Administration Office for one semester, several semesters or your entire period of study at Freie Universitaet Berlin. Exemptions can only be granted before semester contributions (Semesterbeitrag) have been remitted. Please enclose your request for exemption from the transportation pass (Semesterticket) including the wished duration of exemption with your enrollment application. No particular form is required for this request. Your payment will then be adjusted to exclude the contribution for the Semesterticket transportation pass (see “Fees and Contributions”)
  9. If you are not a German citizen, a copy of your passport and valid student visa or applicant visa. Please contact the Foreigners Registration Office online to arrange an appointment in advance.

Once all requirements are met, including full payment confirmation of all applicable fees and contributions to the Freie Universität Berlin, your enrollment will be finalized. Thereafter, you will receive your enrollment certificates by postal mail.