Student Mobility (Incoming)

Every year, thousands of international students come to study at Freie Universität Berlin for a period of time in the context of an international study program. Exchange students can come to Freie Universität Berlin in the framework of different exchange programs: Direct exchange, Erasmus+, DAAD, Fulbright, and other programs.

Please note: it is unfortunately not possible to come to Freie Universität Berlin as a free mover! In order to be enrolled as an exchange student, your home university has to have a students exchange agreement with Freie Universität Berlin.

The programs have different requirements, and participants usually do not need to prove the same level of proficiency in German as regular students.

However, with little or no German skills you will hardly be able to follow the lessons because most of them are taught in German.

An overview of the Freie Universität Berlin and its exchange programs can be found in the booklet "Meet the World" as well as in this flyer about being an exchange student at FUB.

For further information on exchange programs please contact the academic office at Freie Universität.


International Student Mobility- Welcome Services at Freie Universität Berlin
Iltisstr. 4
14195 Berlin
Telephone: +49 (0)30 838-70000
Fax: +49 (0)30 838-73420

Office hours: Tue & Thu 9.30-12.30, 14-17

Exchange students can find an additional orientation aid before traveling to Berlin. Distributed Campus, the internet portal of Freie Universität Berlin, provides information on study conditions, a description of the German university system, and information about living in Berlin.

Continue your studies as a regular student

If after the end of your program stay, you would like to continue studying here as a regular student, you must fulfill other requirements than for participation in your program: For admission to your degree program, you need to apply via uni-assist, keeping to the deadline.

For recognition of your previous studies, please contact the responsible exam office of your department. In case your previous studies have been recognized as equivalent to one or more semesters, you may apply not only for the first but also for higher semesters.