In order to request and take items out on loan, users need a valid user card. Only users with valid user cards can log in to the Internet teminals in the libraries (see also: Login, User Account).
Freie Universität Berlin Students
- For FU students the valid student card is concurrently the user card for the FU libraries.
- The automatically generated password consists of the postal code + first letter of street at time of enrolling (example: 14195g for Garystrasse).
- Users officially registered in Berlin or in Brandenburg can obtain user cards at no charge on presentation of identification (Personalausweis; or passport in combination with official proof of residence (Meldebescheinigung)).
- At the same time, users receive a password (as a rule, the date of birth in ddmmyy format). Holders of user cards may take items out on loan.
- External users obtain a guest user card plus password at no charge on presentation of identification. Holders of guest user cards can request items to use in the Reading Room.
- Adolescents (age 16 through 17) can obtain a special form for requesting a user card from the circulation desk; this form has to be signed by a parent or legal guardian.
Loss of User Card
The loss of a user card must be reported to the circulation department immediately so that the account can be blocked to protect it from abuse. The replacement fee for a lost or damaged library card is € 5.
Password Not Working?
If you have forgotten your password or if the standard password does not work, you can obtain a new password from the Circulation Desk – on presentation of valid identification.
How to Change Passwords
The original password generated at registration (see above) should be replaced by an individual password. For the time being, passwords cannot be changed in Primo, but in the FU OPAC user-account interface only.