In order to request and take items out on loan, users need a valid user card. Only users with valid user cards can log in to the Internet teminals in the libraries (see also: Login, User Account).
Freie Universität Berlin Students
- For FU students the valid student card is concurrently the user card for the FU libraries.
- For signing in FU students use their FU account/ZEDAT account.
- Users officially registered in Berlin or in Brandenburg can obtain user cards at no charge on presentation of identification (Personalausweis; or passport in combination with official proof of residence (Meldebescheinigung)).
- At the same time, users receive a password (as a rule, the date of birth in ddmmyy format, for cards obtained in 2017 ddmmyy+1. letter of the family name+!). Holders of user cards may take items out on loan.
- External users obtain a guest user card plus password at no charge on presentation of identification. Holders of guest user cards can request items to use in the Reading Room.
- Adolescents (age 16 through 17) can obtain a special form for requesting a user card from the circulation desk; this form has to be signed by a parent or legal guardian.
Loss of FU Student ID/User Card
The loss of a FU student ID/user card must be reported to the circulation department immediately so that the account can be blocked to protect it from abuse. The replacement fee for a lost or damaged library card is € 5.
Password Not Working?
If you have forgotten your password, FU students have to contact the ZEDAT Benutzerservice. Other users can obtain a new password from the Circulation Desk – on presentation of valid identification.
How to Change Passwords
FU students change passwords or redirect e-mail addresses at the ZEDAT-Portal. Other users change passwords in the Primo account (My Account → Personal settings).