Fifth Call for Applications:
FUBright Mobility Allowances for Research Stays
Within FUBright for International Doctoral Candidates - a project promoted by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) - Dahlem Research School offers mobility allowances for research stays abroad that fall into the periods February, 25 − October, 15, 2018.
Please find all details below.
The FUBright Mobility Allowance aims at supporting international doctoral candidates of Freie Universität Berlin who are planning a research stay at a university or non-university research institution abroad. The results of which will contribute to the dissertation project.
Eligible are all international doctoral candidates of Freie Universität Berlin - independent of their research field - who do not receive mobility funding from elsewhere.
- be enrolled as a doctoral candidate at Freie Universität Berlin.
- be at the earliest in the second, at the latest in the eighth semester of their dissertation project.
- have been invited by a host institution and offered mentoring and a working space.
- not be a member of a third-party funded research project (e.g. Research Training Group, Graduate School, Collaborative Research Center, DFG Research Unit, etc.)
- not be a grantee of a funding organization which provides travel grants.
- not have received a FUBright Mobility Allowance for a research stay for the same calendar year.
The research stay must
- contribute to the dissertation project.
- take place at a university, a non-university research institute or a scientific library / archive. Please note: Field research will be supported in exceptional cases only, dependent on the available budget.
- take place and be completed within the period February, 25 − October, 15, 2018.
- not take place at a private enterprise.
- not take place in the applicant’s home country.
- not take place in a country for which the German Federal Foreign Office has issued travel warnings.
- not be contrary to regulations in the applicant’s employment contract.
- not contradict regulations set by organizations the applicant is funded by.
Scope of Funding
The number of FUBright Mobility Allowances for research stays that may be awarded in 2018 depends on the availability of funds.
In general, research stays will last six weeks. In exceptional cases and dependent on the budget, they may be extended for up to three months.
The allowances consist of travel and subsistence lump sums. They are calculated according to the rules of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). The amount of both depends on the target country and the duration of the stay (see tables for DAAD travel lump sums and DAAD subsistence lump sums.
Please provide us with the following documents (in German or English):
- Application form, signed by you and your supervisor at Freie Universität Berlin, assuring that no other sources of funding will be used to finance the travel and/or stay.
- CV (max. two pages): please include your postal address and (if applicable) mention the organization who funds your dissertation project (e.g. DAAD, CSC, etc)
- Abstract of your doctoral thesis (max. one page), including a convincing statement why the planned research stay is reasonable/necessary within your dissertation project at the envisioned point in time. The statement must be signed by your supervisor at Freie Universität Berlin.
- Time schedule and working plan for your research stay (max. two pages)
- Copy of the invitation letter of your host institution assuring appropriate assistance and working space
- Copy of enrollment certificate by Freie Universität Berlin (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung)
- Copy of the letter of acceptance by your department at Freie Universität Berlin (Zulassung)
Applicants are not entitled to the FUBright Mobility Allowances; funding is contingent upon acceptance by the DRS.
Money paid or overpaid beforehand must be paid back by the applicant without delay in the following cases:
The research stay is cancelled or cut short.
The applicant is found to be in breach of any of the requirements set for the FUBright Mobility Allowance.
Applicants will be ranked on the basis of the extent to which they meet the following criteria:
- formal requirements
- convincing statement why the planned research stay is reasonable within the dissertation project
- feasible time schedule and working plan
In case several applicants are ranked equally, lots will be drawn to select the candidates.
Please send your application dossier with the documents in the same order and numbered as listed above in one PDF-document via e-mail (subject: FUBright Mobility Allowance for Research Stays) until February 4. 2018, 8 p.m. (CET) to email@example.com
Incomplete applications or applications that do not meet the deadline will not be considered.
FUBright for International Doctoral Candidates is promoted by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).