The career path model of Freie Universität Berlin offers systematic support for junior researchers in various phases of their career development. The Researcher Development Program (RDP) of Dahlem Research School (DRS) provides postdoctoral researchers with qualifications in order to give them the best possible support in this challenging phase of their lives and careers on the path to a professorship: The content is adapted to suit the needs of the participants. The program focuses on skills with practical relevance for daily professional life. The trainers and coaches are familiar with science and research and have high methodological competence.
The Researcher Development Program is a qualification program for junior researchers with a doctoral degree who aspire to attain the position of full professor, who already have an academic position, a project, or a scholarship, and who have at least taken an initial step toward launching a career in academics. This includes
- early postdocs who earned their degree no more than roughly two years ago
- experienced postdocs with more than two years of research experience
- junior professors
- junior research groups leaders
The objectives of the qualification program are:
1. Strategic career development
- Orientation: What are my personal career goals and what are the external circumstances?
- Career planning: What are my next steps?
- Qualification for appointment as a professor: What does it mean and how can I attain it?
- current and future tasks
- freeing up time for research activities
- with other postdoctoral scholars of Freie Universität at various career stages
There are three subject areas highlighting various aspects of academic qualification. These are either important on the path to a professorship or could become relevant for a professorship. Participants can register for training courses and peer coaching sessions in all three areas:
1. Career Management
- Paths to an academic career2. Teaching
- Academic career and life planning
- Developing and enhancing an academic profile
- Appointment procedures
- Theoretical foundations of teaching3. Leadership
- Planning courses
- Supervising doctoral candidates
- Selecting staff
- Self-management and managing others
- Team building
- Conflict management
It is possible to register for individual training courses and peer coaching sessions in all three subject areas.
The regulations and prerequisites for participation are described at Conditions for Participation.
In the areas Teaching and Leadership, it is possible to complete a certificate program to develop individual competencies in a particular area. Information on these programs will be made available soon on these pages.