I have an MA of archaeology (Wrocław University) and PhD of earth sciences in the discipline of geography (Wrocław University). With my current project I am addressing my research interest, which also reflects my education. I am highly interested in studies of human interaction with the natural environment and the settlement processes that occur on this occasion. Landscape archaeology, simulation and predictive modelling in archaeology are also among my interests. Non destructive archaeology, in particular remote sensing: use of ALS data and aerial archaeology, are in scope of my interest too. These interests, especially environmental study and use of diffusion simulation models constituted a major part of my PhD project: Diffusion of the La Tène Culture Settlement in Upper and Opava Silesia in Time and Space defended at the Institute of Geography and Regional Development of the Wrocław University. This project was awarded with the research grant no. NN306 316335 of Poland’s Ministry of Science and Higher Education.
The Przeworsk Culture in Widawa Basin. Probable Scenarios of the Settlement Processes
The goal of the conducted at the Freie Universität Berlin research project is to recreate how the Przeworsk culture settlement emerged and expanded in the Widawa basin (south-western Poland) throughout the time of its presence there, i.e. from pre Roman Iron Age to early Migration period. This will be achieved by means of simulation models and in response to the proposed hypotheses. As a result, it will be possible to recreate and interpret a settlement process. It is possible to propose the hypotheses, that the shape of settlement network of the Przeworsk culture in Widawa basin corresponds to the features of a settlement process that followed the spatial difusion patterns. The second hypothesis presumes a key role of environmental conditions (soil quality, topography (including topographical barriers) and access to water), which shaped the strategy of land use by the Przeworsk culture people and influenced the detailed course of the settlement system’s expansion. A leading hypotheses assumes that due to the economic use of bog iron present in vicinity of watercourses and wetlands, watercourses played a major role in the Przeworsk culture people’s settlement process and strategy for further use of the Widawa basin. The geographical environment of the studied area is considered as in its present state, and only some elements of the topography are adjusted. The hypotheses are to be tested by means of adapted simulation model i.e. Shifting Model (Intervening Opportunities idea), in variants corresponding to the main assumptions.
- Zipser J., 2006, Gospodarczo-żywieniowe podłoże preferencji osadniczych ludności kultury lateńskiej na Śląsku, Śląskie Sprawozdania Archeologiczne, 38, p. 257-269.
Economic and Dietary Factors Behind the Settlement Preferences of the La Tène Culture Peoples in Silesia.
- Zipser J., 2008, Wpływ barier przyrodniczych na strukturę wewnętrzną osadnictwa kultury lateńskiej na Dolnym Śląsku, (in:) Labor et patientia. Studia archaeologica Stanislao Pazda dedicata, (red.) A. Błażejewski, Wrocław, p. 61-72.
Influence of Environmental Barriers on the Internal Structure of the La Tène Culture Settlement in Lower Silesia.
- Zipser J., (co authors: Suchan G., Żygadło L.), 2009, Osada kultury przeworskiej na stanowisku Domasław 10/11/12, pow. wrocławski, Śląskie Sprawozdania Archeologiczne, 51, p. 193-208.
A Przeworsk Culture Settlement at Domaslaw, Site 10/11/12, distr. Wrocław.
- Zipser J., 2014, Koncepcja teoretyczna modelu dyfuzji osadnictwa dla potrzeb analizy procesów osadniczych górnośląskiej grupy kultury lateńskiej, Śląskie Sprawozdania Archeologiczne, 56, p. 61-78.
Theoretical Concept of Diffusion Model of Settlement for the Aim of Analysis of the La Tène Culture Upper Silesian Group Settlement Processes.
- Zipser J., 2015, Za górami, za glebami, za ciekami, czy za słońcem? – uwarunkowania przyrodniczo-przestrzenne wpływające na prawdopodobne procesy formujące strukturę osadniczą kultury lateńskiej na Górnym Śląsku. Wybrane aspekty metodologiczne podstaw badania procesu osadniczego, I Kongres Archeologii Polskiej, in print.
In Search of Hills, Soils, Watersheds or the Sun? – Spatial and Nature Conditions Influencing Hypothetical Processes Forming the La Tène Culture Settlement Structure in Upper Silesia. Selected Methodological Aspects of the Basis Examination of Settlement Process.