Profund Innovation advises inventors of Freie Universität Berlin and, in conjunction with external providers, is responsible for the commercial exploitation of inventions. A precondition for an invention consultation is the “disclosure” of an invention. The form for the invention disclosure can be found here as a Word document or PDF - both in German and English. Explanatory notes on the form can be found here.
The range offered by Profund Innovation includes:
- Personal advice for inventors of Freie Universität Berlin on matters of protection and the exploitation of inventions
- General information on industrial property rights
- Support in preparing invention disclosure
- Assessment of inventions in respect of patentability and prospects for exploitation
- Preparing appropriate patenting and exploitation strategies
- Applications for property rights (in cooperation with patent attorneys)
- Licensing and sale of patents
- Design and negotiation of license agreements
- Monitoring of license agreements and transfer of inventor remuneration to inventors
Process – From Invention Disclosure to the Patent:
- Advice on a potential invention and where appropriate recommendation on submitting invention disclosure.
- Receipt of invention disclosure
- The invention disclosure is checked for completeness. In the event of completeness it is officially accepted and given a reference number.
- The invention is subsequently reviewed for innovation, inventive level, and commercial exploitation potential. The university shall decide, within a statutory deadline of at most four months, on whether the invention is claimed or released to the inventor.
Note: should you intend to publish within the four-month deadline, please advise us hereof as soon as possible, in order that the patenting process can be accelerated where appropriate.
- A patent application is filed after utilization of the invention (usually by a patent attorney). The university shall be liable for the costs of the application.
- Start of commercial exploitation efforts. This includes the holding of a joint discussion with the inventor about steps which may increase the probability of exploitation.
- Where appropriate conclusion of a license agreement for or sale of a patent and payout of the inventor remuneration (30% of gross exploitation income).
Further Important Information:
Pre-printed and Other Forms:
- Invention disclosure form (file download: docx and pdf)
Dr. Claudia Keil-Dieckmann
Tel.: +49 30 838-73606