A valid library card is required to request and borrow books. It is also required to log-in to the internet computers at the library (see also Logging in, Library Account).
Who can apply for a library card?
- The valid student card is also the user card for students enrolled at Freie Universität Berlin.
- Students at Berlin's universities (student card must be presented)
- Adult residents
- Berlin or Brandenburg who present their identification card or passport with verification of their place of residence.
- Adolescents: residents of Berlin or Brandenburg who are 16 years of age or older with declaration of consent from parents
- Non-residents of Berlin or Brandenburg can apply for a temporary guest card that allows them to use digital resources in the reading hall and borrow from the stack collections in the reading hall. (Passport must be presented)
- Research associates who are verified guests of Freie Universität receive a library card for FU employees
When are cards issued?
- Mon.-Fri. from 9:00 am – 8:00 pm at the Philological Library and the University Library.
- Please note the different service hours at the other academic libraries.
Forgot your password? Change your password
FU students can only change the password via the ZEDAT portal.
Holders of a library card should please contact the circulation desk. A forgotten password will be replaced by a new password after presentation of personal identification or passport. This new temporary password must be changed immediately.
Please contact the staff at the circulation desk if you have any questions about borrowing, or contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org