- Offices do not usually require cooling/air conditioning. This also applies to normal seminar rooms with access to windows. The installation of a passive sun blind e.g. an exterior jalousie should take priority. If rooms with considerable sunlight are not fitted with a sun blind, we ask you to inform div. III, dept. III A. Decisions will be made on an individual basis for PC pools and server rooms.
- Please check whether it is possible to partially or entirely avoid air conditioning in rooms that have so far been air conditioned (e.g. laboratories and seminar rooms). We also ask that you inform us of this at div. III, dept. III C, so that technical implementation can be investigated.
- If the acclimatisation of a room is unavoidable due to scientific, technical or health and safety reasons, then it is of great importance that the use of air conditioning is tailored to meet the duration of operation and the correct temperature level. Cooling rooms down to 21 °C when outside temperatures are around 28 °C is excessive, unhealthy and puts additional strain on the FU budget, not to mention that of your department. Therefore please check:
- if the operation time for the ventilation/air conditioning can be reduced: if this is the case, please contact div. III, dept. III C.
- if the temperature meets requirements: for example please check that the that the room is only cooled when the inside temperature is above 26 °C. In general, work spaces should be cooled to a temperature that corresponds as closely as possible to outside temperatures. Even with high outside temperatures, this difference should not be above 6°C.
- if windows and doors are closed in air conditioned rooms: windows and doors that are continuously left open in air conditioned rooms waste a huge amount of energy and should be avoided at all costs.
- ob Geräte oder Arbeitsbereiche mit einer hohen Wärmelast in nicht oder weniger besonnte Räume verlegt werden können.
- Electronic equipment not only needs electricity but also creates waste heat. Your employees help to improve the situation when they consistently turn off PCs, monitors, printers, copiers, and lights when they are not in use. Try to find organisational solutions, for example the installation of network printers instead a printer at each workspace, which is still is a very common problem.
When buying new refrigerators, pay attention to energy efficiency and to their capacity utilisation, and ensure that they are defrosted on a regular basis. Half-filled freezers and fridges consume almost as much electricity as full ones do.
You can get further information about the subjects energy efficiency and environmental management at Freie Universität by contacting the staff of the Energy and Environment Unit.