1. Formal Criteria:
- Completed doctoral degree (a preliminary confirmation needs to be provided, it is handed out at the doctoral program office after a successful disputation)
- Maximum length of doctoral research 1 2 (until submission of the Ph.D. thesis): 3,5 years for scholarship holders; 4,5 years for research assistants who had to fulfill teaching duties
- Completion of the doctoral degree within the past three years as counted from the day the application is submitted1
- Either employed by Freie Universität or connected to it through grants and fellowships (either currently or within the past six months1)
- Confirmation of supervision and workplace provision by a current coordinated project at Freie Universität Berlin (Focus Area, Cluster of Excellence, Graduate School, SFB, etc.)
- Confirmation of supervision and workplace provision by the international host university or the non-university research institution in the Berlin-Brandenburg region
2. Content-Related Criteria:
- Innovativeness of the research question
- Quality of the research plan
- Outstanding academic performance (quality of the doctoral thesis, publications, awards, etc.)
- International experience desirable
- Teaching experience desirable
1 Parental leave, severe illness, and family care can be offset.
2 The maximum length of doctoral research can be slightly exceeded if a doctoral degree was completed abroad or in the case of justified exceptions.