The Researcher Development Program is a qualification program for junior researchers with a doctoral degree who aspire to attain the position of full professor, who already have an academic position, a project, or a scholarship.
The program is part of Freie Universität's career path model which seeks to support junior researchers systematically in various phases of their professional development.
The target group includes early postdocs who earned their degree no more than roughly two years ago, experienced postdocs with more than two years of research experience, junior professors and junior research group leaders.
The objectives of the qualification program are:
1. Strategic career development
- Orientation: What are my personal career goals and what are the external circumstances?
- Career planning: What are my next steps?
- Qualification for appointment as a professor: What does it mean and how can I attain it?
- current and future tasks
- freeing up time for research activities
- with other postdoctoral scholars of Freie Universität at various career stages
Participants can register for training courses and peer coaching sessions in three areas that are either important on the path to a professorship or could become relevant for a professorship:
1. Career Management
- Paths to an academic career
- Academic career and life planning
- Developing and enhancing an academic profile
- Appointment procedures
- Theoretical foundations of teaching
- Planning courses
- Supervising doctoral students
3. Leadership & Management
- Selecting staff
- Self-management and managing others
- Team building
In the areas Teaching, Leadership & Career Management, it is possible to complete a certificate program to develop individual competencies in a particular area.