Freie Universität Berlin

Service Navigation

Residence Permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis)

Certificate of free movement (Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung) for EU citizens and EEA nationals

The EU residence permit for EU citizens and nationals of EEA countries (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) has been abolished. These persons are only required to register with the local authorities and obtain a certificate of free movement (Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung).

Applying for a residence permit

Citizens from all other countries require a residence permit which is issued by the Foreigners’ Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde). Within 3 months after arrival your study visa must be converted into a residence permit. The residence permit is generally issued for a period of one or two years depending on the application. It can be extended on the condition that the holder applies for extension prior to the expiry of the respective period of validity.

You will need the following documents in order to apply for the residence permit:

  • Proof of admission or enrollment at Freie Universität Berlin
  • Proof of a scholarship or other adequate means of income: Non-EU students must generally provide credible proof that they have financial resources of at least € 585 per month at their disposal. Foreign doctoral candidates can usually meet the requirement by showing a proof of their scholarship.
  • Proof of adequate health insurance coverage
  • Proof of registration with local authorities
  • 2 (biometric) ID photos
  • Passport (validity period at least 6 months)
  • Completed and signed application form
  • A processing fee of about € 60 for the issue of the first permit

Special Service for Doctoral Candidates of Freie Universität:

Dahlem Research School has made special arrangements with the Foreigners’ Registration Office. If you have all the necessary documents ready for processing, you can submit them to the Student Exchange Office on FU Campus.

Important note: Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing.

While your papers are being processed by the Foreigners’ Office you will receive a document confirming that your passport is currently at the German authorities. We therefore suggest you submit your documents when you will not need your passport for 2-3 weeks. For example, you should open a bank account and register at the local authorities before you submit your passport for processing.

You will be notified when your residence permit is ready to be picked up.

Please call ahead on the day you want to go or send an email to confirm that office hours have not been cancelled.

Office hours: Monday 9:30 to 2pm.

Address: Student Exchange Office (Akademisches Auslandsamt)

Mr. Zoltan Juhasz, Brümmerstrasse 52, Room 105 (U3 Thielplatz)

Phone: 030 838 57304


Foreigners’ Registration Office

Address: Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten

Abteilung IV – Ausländerbehörde

Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24, 13353 Berlin

Phone: +49 (0)30 / 90 269-0


Opening hours

Mon 07:00 a.m. – 02:00 p.m.

Tue 07:00 a.m. – 02:00 p.m.

Wed closed

Thu 10:00 a.m. – 06:00 p.m.

Fri closed