Enrollment (Immatrikulation) is compulsory for doctoral candidates at Freie Universität. You have to enroll within four weeks after being accepted as a doctoral candidate by your Faculty (Zulassung).
You can download the enrollment application here.
Enrollment is carried out by the central student administration office (Studierenden Verwaltung) of Freie Universität Berlin. After enrollment you will receive a student ID card which counts as a ticket (Semester-Ticket) on the public transportation system in the Berlin area (Zones A & B) .
Enrollment is valid for one term only. Each term you will have to re-register and pay the administration fee by a bank transfer order.
Student Administration Office (Studierenden Verwaltung)
Directions: Subway line U3 Station Dahlem-Dorf. Exit the station on Königin-Luise Str. The office is located in the red building across the street to the right from the station exit.
Address : Iltisstr. 1, 14195 Berlin
Subway line U3 Station Dahlem-Dorf
Phone: +49 (0)30 / 838-700 00 (Information Service)
Mon and Tue 09:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Thu 02:00 p.m. – 05:00 p.m.
Instructions for day of registration:
- Bring originals of all documents required.
- You may complete the application form while waiting. IMPORTANT: Each DRS Doctoral Program is listed by a special code number so make sure you get enrolled in your DRS Program. Find the list on page 3 of the “Explanation of Enrolment Application”!
- Bring payment: pay either with a German EC-Card and pin or by cash. The payment varies. The regular fee is 251.68 EUR. If the doctoral candidate receives a scholarship from a German institution, the enrolment fee is 201.68 EUR.
- Arrive early to avoid a very long wait.
- Upon arrival, get a number at the Info - Service desk located near the entrance.
- When your number is called, you must present all documents and the payment. You will miss your turn if you are not there when your number is called!
What to bring—Mandatory documents:
- Completed application. Application and instructions available online here.
- Original acceptance letter (Zulassungsbescheid or Zulassung zur Promotion from your Faculty)
- Original certificate of eligibility for university study (such as Abitur, high school diploma, or equivalent)
- Original certificates of all degrees received (such as Bachelors, Masters)
- Passport or ID card.
- Payment: bring either full cash amount (varies from €205-270) or a German EC-Card with pin
- Proof of health insurance is not required for doctoral candidates. Please note: in Germany health insurance is mandatory.
Other documents that may be required:
1. Passport with valid residence permit
2. If previously studied at a German university, include previous enrollment certificate with a listing of major courses and semesters attended (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung) and a leaving certificate from previous university (Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung)