Here is a checklist of the most important things you should do first when you arrive in Berlin.
All information can be found on our website as well as in our Information Brochure which can be downloaded here. Our brochure will also be distributed to all international doctoral candidates of Dahlem Research School member programs upon arrival.
- Find a permanent place to stay.
- Buy health insurance if you have not done so already.
- Get acceptance by the Faculty at Freie Universität where you have applied for your doctorate, if you have not finished the process before arrival.
- Enroll at Freie Universität to obtain official student status.
- Open a local bank account.
- Register with the local registration authorities. This has to be done within two weeks after arrival in Berlin, even if you only have temporary accommodation at the time.
- Apply for a residence permit. This has to be done before your visa expires, within 90 days after arrival.
- Register for a German Language course, if applicable.