Excerpt from Bylaws Regarding the Object and Purpose of the Ernst-Reuter-Stiftung
1. The purpose of the Foundation is to promote scholarship, science, research, and education, particularly:
- promoting scholarship, science, research, and teaching activities at Freie Universität Berlin,
- promoting and strengthening Freie Universität Berlin in its role as an institution dedicated to the principles of independence and freedom, and
- supporting the ties between Freie Universität Berlin and the public at large as well as the university’s supporters and former members
2. The Foundation achieves this purpose, in particular, through activities including the following:
- Establishing excellent, beneficial relationships between Freie Universität Berlin and its members, alumni, and supporters (individuals, organizations, and enterprises) in Germany and abroad;
- Collecting and providing financial and in-kind resources to promote scholarship, science, research, and teaching activities as well as junior scholars and scientists at Freie Universität Berlin, in accordance with the provisions of § 58 No. 1 of the German Tax Code (Abgabenordnung – AO);
- Supporting academic events (e.g., lectures, presentations, conferences) held by Freie Universität Berlin by granting subsidies;
- Awarding prizes for outstanding scientific and academic work completed by members and graduates of Freie Universität Berlin, in accordance with the existing guidelines for the awarding thereof;
- Promoting the international contacts of Freie Universität Berlin;
- Collecting funding in support of scientific and academic publications by members and graduates of Freie Universität through granting of subsidies;
- Supporting courses offered at Freie Universität in the field of education, including public education, through granting of subsidies; and
- Procuring funds to achieve the tax-privileged aims of other corporations or to achieve tax-privileged purposes through public-law corporations in accordance with the provisions of § 58 No. 1 of the German Tax Code (Abgabenordnung – AO).
The Foundation is not required to fulfill all purposes at the same time and to the same extent. The Board of Management is responsible for deciding which purposes are given priority in each case.
3. There is no legal claim to allocation of Foundation funds.
4. The Foundation pursues solely and directly nonprofit purposes within the meaning of the section of the German Tax Code (Abgabenordnung) entitled “steuerbegünstigte Zwecke” (tax-privileged aims).
5. The Foundation’s activities are of a nonprofit nature. The Foundation does not primarily pursue commercial or for-profit aims. If and insofar as specified herein, the Board of Management shall decide the manner in which the purpose of the Foundation is to be achieved. The privileged tax status of the Foundation must not be jeopardized.
The full text (German) of the bylaws is available here. The office of the Ernst-Reuter-Gesellschaft is happy to answer any questions you may have regarding the bylaws or regarding the Ernst-Reuter-Stiftung in general.