Frequently Asked Questions
What are the goals of this initiative?
This initiative pursues two main goals:
• to provide information about currently available diagnostic questionnaires that are already adapted (according to scientific standards) to language and culture of refugees and that can be used to tailor-suite counselling, therapy, and career services.
• to adapt the diagnostic questionnaires currently needed as part of the process of integrating and welcoming refugees.
Who are we?
“Diagnostics across borders” is a non-profit initiative which aims to contribute to a culture of welcoming. The whole project team works on a voluntary basis. Our team is composed of university students, researchers, and professors who are committed to contribute to the integration of refugees in our society. We aspire that refugees get the best diagnostic opportunities considering their language skills and cultural background. We hope that our initiative can help those who try to offer diagnostic opportunities for refugees to be a part of society in a fair and meaningful way. For us, welcoming and supporting refugees is a key humanitarian obligation that we seek to carry out.
What do we do basically?
We provide information about available diagnostic instruments in various languages. If possible and on request, we also translate diagnostic instruments into other languages, adapt them to other cultural backgrounds, and examine, whether their psychometric properties are acceptable.
How are we funded?
All the work we do is made on a voluntary basis. Nevertheless financial support is needed to provide translators, material for validation studies etc. Any donations are very much appreciated. You can get information about making donations from dab[at]psychologie.fu-berlin.de.
Why are only five languages selected for translation?
These are the most spoken languages among refugees for whom many initiatives are currently mobilized to offer help. If you have other language requirements, please let us know.
What we do not do!
Please be aware that we cannot offer any psychological assessment, we rather provide information about it. We are also no test distributor. In case instruments are freely available, you will find a link on the website.
For which purpose can diagnostic instruments be used?
Diagnostic instruments are nor restricted to a particularly field of diagnostics. They can be used for several reasons, including learning more about your occupational interests and strengths, specifying the need for professional help, and many more. It is, however, very important that diagnostic instruments are carefully selected, properly used and interpreted.
How can I participate/help in this project?
If you are interested in our work and would like to support us actively, you are most welcome to be part of our team. Kindly send us an E-Mail and we will put you in touch with the person responsible.
You can help the project in the following ways:
- General translation in your native language
- Connect us with other projects which are working with refugees who may need our services
- Raising funds and donations for our initiative
- Carrying out research for diagnostic instruments in different languages
- Help adapting instruments in other languages (by doing an internship or writing a bachelor or master thesis)
I did not find an answer to my question, how can I find more information?
Feel free to contact us via dab[at]psychologie.fu-berlin.de