Freie Universität Berlin

Service Navigation

How and when can students apply for a Deutschlandstipendium scholarship at Freie Universität Berlin?

Only students of Freie Universität Berlin can be awarded Deutschlandstipendium scholarships at this university. Only those enrolled or applying for a study program at Freie Universität Berlin and who provide a complete and timely scholarship application can participate in the application and selection process. The application process usually starts in the summer before the funding period starts in the winter semester. In order to submit the application, an online form needs to be completed and all required application documents need to be submitted by mail.

The following documents are usually required for the application:

-Printed and signed copy of the online application form,

-Matriculation certificate,

-High School and University/College Certificates and Transcripts of Academic Records:

1. Copy of high-school leaving diploma/ Abitur (not if you are a Master’s student),

2. Copy of college or university degree (if you already graduated) or a current Transcript of Academic Records if your certificate has not been issued yet,

3. Transcript of Academic Records (transcript of courses and grades),

4. Applicants with grades from a non-German grading system: documents indicating the grades converted into the German grading system (i.e. Prüfbericht from Uni Assit e.V.)

-Copies of certificates of awards and prizes, documentation of scholarships, employment and internships, volunteer work and social or political commitment etc.

-If you would like to apply for a scholarship in the area of setting up new businesses: documentation of any activities in this area (e.g. setting up your own business, participating in the Business Plan Contest, Funpreneur Contest etc.)

-A recent letter of recommendation of a professor (or a teacher if you haven’t studied at university level before) which was written for the application for the Deutschlandstipendium. Please use the form which will be available in the call for applications or on in the section "Information for students" under "Call for Applications".


Please see the section"Call for Applications" for any updates on required application documents.