The application and evaluation process for CSC candidates is coordinated by the Beijing Office of Freie Universität Berlin. All inquiries concerning the FU-CSC Program and open positions should be sent in the first process only to the Beijing Office (not to the professor): email@example.com.
In order to become a PhD student at Freie Universität Berlin in the framework of the FU-CSC PhD Program two applications are necessary:
1) Application for the offered position, submitted to Beijing Office of Freie Universität Berlin
- First check the website of Beijing Office for the list of open individually supervised PhD positions offered by FUB in a variety of disciplines. (please see the list of open positions for 2015)
- Apply to Beijing Office for one of the positions offered by a professor of FUB. [Please note! Apply only for a research project if your academic background meets the description of the offer!]
- The application should be submitted ONLY to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a list of documents we require please see below.
- Application deadline for PhD Studies: 4 January, 2015.
- Beijing Office will check and evaluate the application and forward it to the respective professor. The professor will contact the candidates who submitted a complete application. After interviewed by the professor who offered the position, the final decision about the acceptance is made by the professors of Freie Universität according to the academic qualification. We inform the applicants at the beginning of February about the decisions. [Please note: be patient and don’t contact the professor before the decision is made.That’s helpful.]
- In case the professor accepts the PhD candidate, he/she contacts the PhD candidate to discuss the research proposal in which is required for the second process, the CSC application.
- Freie Universität Berlin (Centre for International Cooperation) will issue the invitation letter for the accepted PhD candidates. The invitation letter is needed for the application of a CSC scholarship and will be passed to the students by the Beijing Office in February, 2015.
- All accepted PhD candidates who submitted their complete application to the Beijing Office and were accepted by a professor will be listed on the official nomination list of the FU-CSC Program which will be handed in to the CSC by the Beijing Office.
2) Application submitted to CSC (end of March – beginning of April):
- This is a separate application which is handled only by the CSC. In case you have questions concerning the CSC scholarship, please contact the CSC directly: www.csc.edu.cn
- The invitation letter issued by the Freie Universität Berlin is required for the scholarship application to the CSC in the framework of the FU-CSC PhD Program. For the exact application period of CSC-scholarships (usually: 20 March – 5 April, 2015), please refer to the CSC homepage: www.csc.edu.cn/Chuguo/Default.aspx?cid=13
- Confirmation of the scholarship awardees of the CSC will be announced by the middle of May.
- Successful scholarship holders start their research stay in Berlin in September 2015.