Successful Application under Horizon 2020
Environmental Policy Research Centre (FFU) at Freie Universität Berlin coordinates European research network WinWind to promote acceptance of wind energy
№ 216/2017 from Aug 14, 2017
Freie Universität's Environmental Policy Research Centre (FFU) along with eleven partner organizations from Germany, Italy, Latvia, Norway, Poland, and Spain won the contract for a research project within the framework of the European Union's Horizon 2020 program. The partner organizations include research facilities, national energy agencies, renewable energy organizations, and consulting companies.
The goal of WinWind is to examine and strengthen social acceptance in regions with comparatively weak expansion of wind power plants. As part of the project, scientists analyze regional and local socioeconomic, spatial, and ecological characteristics as well as the reasons for the slow market use of wind energy in the selected regions. In concrete terms, stakeholder dialogues are organized that examine social acceptance and acceptance measures and develop policy recommendations. Together with partners from the wind industry, the scientists are looking for practical solutions. The total budget of the project is 2.1 million euros; Freie Universität Berlin's share is 534,000 euros.
The other project partners are:
- Asociación Canaria de Energías Renovables (ACER), Spain
- Center for International Climate and Environmental Research (CICERO), Norway
- Ecoazioni, Italy
- ECORYS España, Spain
- ENEA (Agenzia nazionale per le nuove tecnologie, l'energia e lo sviluppo economico sostenibile), Italy
- ICLEI European Secretariat (ICLEI), Germany
- Institute of Physical Energetics (IPE), Latvia
- Latvian Environmental Investment Fund (LEIF), Latvia
- Norwegian Water Resources and Energy Directorate (NVE)
- Polish National Energy Conservation Agency (KAPE), Poland
- Seecon Ingenieure GmbH, Germany
Horizon 2020 is the Framework Program for Research and Innovation of the European Union. The WinWind project (acronym for "Winning social acceptance for wind energy in wind energy scarce regions") has a duration of 30 months. The project start is October 1, 2017. The FFU assumes the overall coordination of the research consortium. The project coordinator is Dr. Maria-Rosaria Di Nucci.
Dr. Maria Rosaria Di Nucci, Environmental Policy Research Centre (FFU), Department of Political and Social Sciences, Freie Universität Berlin, Tel.: +49 30 838-56271, Email: email@example.com