Current Research on Global Increases in Healthcare Inequality
Summer School Conference July 22 to 27 at Freie Universität Berlin; Public Lectures by Internationally Renowned Experts in Medical Anthropology on July 22, 23, 25, and 26
№ 216/2013 from Jul 19, 2013
Globally increasing inequality in medical care is the focus of the first Europe-wide Summer School of Medical Anthropology, entitled “Well-being at the Margins,” taking place at Freie Universität Berlin from July 22nd through the 27th. Young scholars from Europe, North and South America, Asia, and Australia will present their research in topical conference workshops. Their research topics focus on how ethnic minorities or patients with chronic diseases in different social contexts and cultures manage in uncertain health situations. Internationally renowned medical anthropologists will begin each workshop with a lecture regarding the session’s topic. These lectures are open to the public and will take place on July 22nd, 23rd, 25th, and 26th. Admission is free. Media representatives are welcome at the lectures, and are requested to pre-register by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The conference will include 28 young scholars from 13 different countries. Their work was selected from a total of 140 proposals by the conference’s international selection committee. The selected scholars will present over the course of six days, in workshops organized according to the various research topics.
The Summer School is being organized by the Office of Medical Anthropology of the Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology at Freie Universität. All workshops and lectures will be conducted in English. Financial support has been provided by the Volkswagen Foundation. Freie Universität welcomes the following internationally renowned scientists, who will manage the workshops and give the opening lectures for each session:
- Heide Castañeda (University of South Florida, USA)
- Sylvie Fainzang (Cermes3/Inserm, Paris, France)
- Ian Harper (University of Edinburgh, UK)
- Lenore Manderson (Monash University, Australia)
- David Napier (University College London, UK)
- Vinh-Kim Nguyen (McGill University, Montreal, Canada)
- Peter Redfield (University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA)
- Miriam Ticktin (New School for Social Research, New York, USA)
Times and Location:
The public, one-hour lectures and following discussions will take place in
- Lecture Hall 1B in the Silberlaube, located at Habelschwerdter Alle 45, 14195 Berlin, accessible from Subway Station Dahlem-Dorf or Thielplatz (Line U3). Lecture dates and times are as follows:
- July 22nd, 9:30 a.m.
- July 23rd, 9:00 a.m.
- July 25th, 9:00 a.m.
- July 26th, 9:00 a.m.
Please direct any questions to Prof. Dr. Hansjörg Dilger, Executive Director for the Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology, Freie Universität Berlin, Office Telephone: +49 30 / 838-5605
- For interviews before and during the Summer School, please contact Ursula Probst of the Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology, Freie Universität Berlin. Tel.: +49 176-61344 906; Email: email@example.com.
- Interview with the organizational team (in German):
- Program for the Summer School:
- Office for Medical Anthropology: