Conference on Art and Art History in East Asia
Art History of South Asia Celebrates Ten-year Anniversary at Freie Universität with Symposium
№ 159/2013 from Jun 17, 2013
An international conference being held from June 26 to 28, 2013, at the Division of East Asian Art History at the Art History Institute of Freie Universität Berlin, will focus on the relationship between text and image in East Asian art. The topics being covered include, for example, visual and textual strategies in calligraphy and painting, text and image as a sign of cultural and social identity, narrative and inter-media aspects of art, and relations between literature and visual art. The conference "Moving Signs and Shifting Discourses: Text and Image Relations in East Asian Art" is being held on the occasion of the tenth anniversary of the Chair of East Asian Art History at Freie Universität. The conference is open to the interested public and free of charge. The conference language is English.
An initiative was made in 1999 by the director of the Art History Institute of Freie Universität Berlin, Prof. Dr. Willibald Veit, to add East Asian art history to the curriculum of the institute, and it was made possible with funds from the Gerda Henkel Foundation. In 2003 Prof. Dr. Jeong-hee Lee-Kalisch was appointed to the endowed chair. This entails a bachelor's and master's degree program as well as a research doctorate. Adjunct professorships and a Gerda Henkel Visiting Professorship enhance the curriculum and the international network of the Institute. Regular guest lectures and short-term teaching contracts by internationally renowned scholars give students additional insights into the diverse academic activities related to the subject. Close cooperation with the Museum of Asian Art and the National Museums in Berlin adds hands-on training to the degree programs.
The conference is being organized in collaboration with the Museum of Asian Art and with support from the Gerda Henkel Foundation and the Japan Foundation in Cologne.
Time and Location
- Opening Ceremony: June 26, 6:15 p.m. Art History Institute, Freie Universität Berlin, Koserstr. 20, 14195 Berlin, Lecture Hall B
- Conference: June 27 and 28, starting at 9 a.m. Asian Art Museum, National Museums in Berlin, Lansstr. 8, 14195 Berlin, Main Lecture Hall
- Shao-lan Hertel, East Asian Art History, Freie Universität, Tel.: +49 30 838 54520, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Program: www.geschkult.fu-berlin.de/e/khi/abteilung_ostasien/aktuelles/Flyer_Conference_Program_Moving_Signs_Shifting_Discourses.pdf
- Homepage of the East Asia Division of the Institute of Art History: www.geschkult.fu-berlin.de/e/khi/abteilung_ostasien