The Development of New Identities in South and Southeast Asia
Conference on Islam, Youth, and Gender in South and Southeast Asia on April 20 and 21 at Freie Universität Berlin and Humboldt-Universität Berlin
№ 077/2012 from Apr 12, 2012
An international conference on the societies of South and Southeast Asia will be taking place at Freie Universität and Humboldt-Universität on April 20 and 21, 2012. About 20 scholars from Asia, North America, and Europe will be discussing various aspects of Islam, youth, and gender. The conference language will be English. Participation is public, and admission is free. As the number of participants is limited, registration by April 15 is requested.
The international conference "Islam, Youth, and Gender in South and Southeast Asia" is being organized jointly by the Department for Mediality and Intermediality in Asian and African Studies (Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin), the Berlin Graduate School Muslim Cultures and Societies (BGSMCS, Freie Universität Berlin), and by the Cluster of Excellence Normative Orders (Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main). It is being funded by the Gerda Henkel Foundation and the Excellence Cluster BGSMCS Normative Orders. The keynote speaker will be Meena Sharify-Funk (Waterloo, Ontario), author of Encountering the Transnational: Women, Islam, and the Politics of Interpretation, a monography published in 2008.
Dates and Locations
- Friday, April 20, 2012, and Saturday, April 21, 2012. The opening event will start on Friday at 4:30 p.m. The lectures and panel discussions will begin on Saturday at 9:00 a.m.
- Friday: Festsaal, Luisenstraße 56, 10117 Berlin; subway station: Oranienburger Tor (U6)
- Saturday: Seminar Center, Otto-von-Simson-Straße 26, 14195 Berlin; subway station: Thielplatz (U3)
Registration and Program
- RSVP by April 15. 2012: email@example.com. The number of participants is limited.
- Link to the conference program: www.bgsmcs.fu-berlin.de/events/Islam_Youth_and_Gender/programm_New_Mobilities_web_Confprog1.pdf?1333357296
- Prof. Dr. Nadja-Christina Schneider, Institute for Asian and African Studies, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Tel.: +49 (0)30 / 2093-66043, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prof. Dr. Gudrun Krämer, Institute of Islamic Studies, Freie Universität Berlin,Tel.: +49 (0)30 / 838-52487, Email: email@example.com