The international conference "Islam, Youth, and Gender in South and Southeast Asia" is being organized jointly by the Department for Mediality and Intermediality in Asian and African Studies (Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin), the Berlin Graduate School Muslim Cultures and Societies (BGSMCS, Freie Universität Berlin), and by the Cluster of Excellence Normative Orders (Goethe-Universität Frankfurt am Main). It is being funded by the Gerda Henkel Foundation and the Excellence Cluster BGSMCS Normative Orders. The keynote speaker will be Meena Sharify-Funk (Waterloo, Ontario), author of Encountering the Transnational: Women, Islam, and the Politics of Interpretation, a monography published in 2008.
Dates and Locations
- Friday, April 20, 2012, and Saturday, April 21, 2012. The opening event will start on Friday at 4:30 p.m. The lectures and panel discussions will begin on Saturday at 9:00 a.m.
- Friday: Festsaal, Luisenstraße 56, 10117 Berlin; subway station: Oranienburger Tor (U6)
- Saturday: Seminar Center, Otto-von-Simson-Straße 26, 14195 Berlin; subway station: Thielplatz (U3)
Registration and Program
- RSVP by April 15. 2012: firstname.lastname@example.org. The number of participants is limited.
- Link to the conference program: www.bgsmcs.fu-berlin.de/events/Islam_Youth_and_Gender/programm_New_Mobilities_web_Confprog1.pdf?1333357296