The future of English is related to its status and use in Asia. Currently, the largest number of users of English comes from Asia, and this seems to be on the increase. At the same time, the question arises as to whether English is sufficient as the only language in use for the developing relationship between Europe and Asia in business, politics, science, and culture. Which variant of English is being used in each case? Participants at the conference "English in Asia and Europe’s Asia Competence" will address these issues.
Other aspects are the diversity of English in Asia as a carrier of new cultural values, the diversity of Asia in the Anglophone literature from Asie, and language and education policy. The conference look at the Asia competence that Europe needs as well as the Europe competence already in place in Asia, and also refer to Europe competence that will be required by Asia. The conference is being supported by the German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft).
- Please register via the Web page:
- Or by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Time and Locations
- May 9 (Registration starts at 3 p.m.) to May 12, 2012
- May 9, Henry Ford Building, Freie Universität Berlin, Garystraße 35, Senate Meeting Room,
14195 Berlin; subway station: Thielplatz (U3)
- May 10 – 12, Seminar Center, Habelschwerdter Allee 45,
(side entrance on Otto-von-Simson Straße), 14195 Berlin; subway station: Thielplatz or Dahlem-Dorf (U3)