Climate change, natural disasters, and resource shortages paired with the need by 2050 to provide an estimated nine billion people with food, energy, and raw materials, will affect the Earth/human system in the coming decades in an unprecedented way. Responding to these enormous social challenges will require new approaches in many branches of science. The researchers involved in the new coordination platform Geo.X will address these issues.
Geo.X brings together Earth sciences expertise at Freie Universität Berlin, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Technische Universität Berlin, the University of Potsdam, the Museum of Natural History (Berlin), and GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences (Helmholtz Centre Potsdam) in the areas of research, education, and infrastructure.
In the presence of Mr. Martin Gorholt, State Secretary, Ministry of Science, Research, and Culture of Brandenburg and Prof. Jürgen Zöllner (tbc), Senator for Education, Science, and Research of the State of Berlin, representatives of the participating scientific institutions will sign the cooperation agreement on March 3, 2010.
The press briefing will give an overview of the current and future research activities of the new coordination platform including
- how clustering expertise in the Earth sciences and sharing existing infrastructures can lead to new and innovative solutions for the Earth/human system,
- why Geo.X will be an important partner for politics and economics in addressing major challenges for the future, and
- which future-oriented issues, ideas, and subject areas Geo.X scientists will be dealing with.
Date: 03.03. 2010, 10 – 11 a.m.
Location: Convention center in the building of the Bundespressekonferenz, Room III + IV
Schiffbauerdamm 40/corner of Reinhardtstr. 55, 10117 Berlin
An accreditation in the convention center is not required.
Signing of the cooperation agreement at 10:45 a.m. (photo opportunity) by
- Prof. Dr. R. Hüttl (Chief Executirve Officer, GeoForschungsZentrum)
- Prof. Dr.-Ing. S. Kunst (President, University of Potsdam)
- Prof. Dr. K. Kutzler (President, Technische Universität Berlin)
- Prof. Dr. R. Leinfelder (General Director, Museum of Natural History, Berlin)
- Prof. Dr. C. Markschies (President, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin)
- Prof. Dr. J. Schiller (Vice President, Freie Universität Berlin)